Sunday, September 26, 2010

Cheesy Breadsticks

I was inspired to make these by an episode of The Next Food Network Star from two seasons ago - you know, the one Melissa D'Arabian won. They always list the recipes from the series on the site, except, of course, for this one. So I made it up as I went along and it turned out fantastic!
1/2 loaf Italian bread
1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice bread in half lengthwise, then slice each half into strips. Place on baking sheet and toast lightly while making cheese sauce.

Heat butter and garlic powder in small saucepan over medium-high heat. When butter is melted, add flour, stirring continually to make a roux. Once roux is lightly browned, stir in milk. Heat until thickened, then stir in cheese.

Remove bread from oven. Spoon cheese evenly over each piece, then place back in oven. Bake for 5-7 minutes. Turn oven to broil (I used the broiler's low setting, because I have a terrible time with burning things when I broil). Broil bread for another 5 minutes, or until cheese browns.

No comments: