Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sangria




Determined to ignore the snow falling outside, I made sangria for DH and I last night. Fabulous! We finished the first pitcher and I made a second one for today, letting the fruit soak in the wine overnight.

I used this recipe from About.com as a base, then just modified it a bit:

1 bottle of wine (I used both merlot and white merlot, and I think I like a lighter variety best)
1 orange
1 lemon
1 apple
2 shots rum
2 Tbsp sugar
2 cups of diet ginger ale

Pour the wine into a pitcher. Cut lemon and orange into wedges and squeeze into wine, then toss fruit in. Cut apple into wedges and add to pitcher. Stir in sugar and rum, and refrigerate. Stir in ginger ale right before serving.

Sangria is better the colder it gets, so either start with chilled wine, add some ice, or be prepared to wait impatiently!

No comments: