Sunday, June 13, 2010

White Chicken Chili

I have read other bloggers' raves about white chicken chili for a while now. We tried one recipe back when I was pregnant - in.edi.ble. Too much spice (and I LOVE my spicy food!), too much cumin... blech.

Yet I stayed determined. While I was on maternity leave I saw Giada make a version that didn't appear too smoky and spicy on Giada at Home, and I decided to suck it up and try it. Fantastic! It's smooth, creamy, with just a hint of warmth rather than overt spiciness. I made a few modifications to her original recipe to accommodate what I happened to have in my kitchen, and we definitely weren't disappointed!


1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pounds ground chicken
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sweet paprika
1 tsp. fennel seeds
1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp chili powder
2 tablespoons flour
1 (15-ounce cans) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup fat-free half-and-half
1/4 cup light sour cream

In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, around 30 seconds. Add the ground chicken, salt, paprika fennel seeds, oregano, and chili powder. Cook, stirring frequently, until the chicken is cooked through.

Stir the flour into the chicken mixture. Add the beans and chicken stock. Bring the mixture to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Simmer for 55-60 minutes until the liquid has reduced by about half and the chili has thickened. Add crushed red pepper and simmer for another 10 minutes. Stir in half-and-half, Parmesan cheese, and sour cream, and stir until creamy.

Ladle into serving bowls. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and freshly ground pepper, if desired.

WW Info: 3 Points per one-cup serving

Source: Adapted from Giada at Home

No comments: