Saturday, August 14, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes

Cupcakes. They got me. At first it was a passing fancy - we'd stop by the local cupcake shop maybe once or twice a year. Then I started reading other food blogs and saw the cupcakes some of my favorite bloggers were making. And the obsession grew until today, when I broke my "I don't bake" tradition and made cupcakes from scratch. And guess what? Apparently I DO bake!

I'll admit it - as a baking newb, I made virtually zero modifications to these recipes from Hershey and the domestic goddess herself, Martha Stewart (say what you want, woman knows her buttercream). Nevertheless, there is nothing to complain about, so I don't think I'd have anything to modify, even if I wanted. I did make a double batch of frosting, but really a batch and a half would be ideal. I had a ton of frosting left over.
For the cake:
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

For the frosting:
  • 2/3 cup natural, creamy peanut butter
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 2/3 cup natural, creamy peanut butter
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
    1 stick (8 Tbsp.) unsalted butter, softened
    3/4 cup confectioner's sugar

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with paper liners and set aside.

    Combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Scoop batter into cupcake cups (fill about 2/3 full) and bake for 22-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool completely.

    To make the frosting, cream butter and peanut butter on high speed. Reduce speed to low and beat in confectioner's sugar. Increase speed to high and beat on high until frosting is fluffy. Frost cooled cupcakes immediately.

    Makes about 30 cupcakes.

    Sources:
    Cake: Hershey's
    Frosting: Martha Stewart

    No comments: