Sunday, March 1, 2009

Tri-color Tortellini with White Wine Alfredo Sauce


This was my first attempt at making my own pasta sauce, and I'm proud to say that it was very successful! Traditional cream sauce includes heavy cream, but I just couldn't bring myself to cook with it, so I used the fat free half and half I put in my morning coffee. Nevertheless, it was delicious and still felt decadent!

2 bags frozen tri-color tortellini
3 Tbsp. light butter
3 Tbsp. flour
1 cup white wine
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1 cup fat free half and half
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil tortellini and cook per package directions. Drain and set aside.

Melt light butter over medium heat. Gradually whisk in flour to create a roux. Add wine and simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in half and half and cook, stirring often, until thickened and heated, adding salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Be careful not to let this sauce boil!

Right before you add to the pasta, add Parmesan and stir until melted. Pour over pasta and garnish with additional Parmesan or Parmesan-Reggiano, if desired.

No comments: